A simple way to attack junior year

Most juniors faces on the first day of school.

Frankfurt International School Herald

Most juniors’ faces on the first day of school.

Brady Rogers, Senior Editor

As junior year winds down and the pressures of standardized testing and overthinking colleges grind to a halt, the stress is lifted. Incoming sophomores are next in line. Here are a few pointers from a former junior to help students ace the difficult year.

To get through all of the stress and pressure of classes, it’s important to have a strong base. Sleeping at a decent time every nightand staying consistentcan increase motivation and lower irritability. Decent sleep doesn’t mean getting up five minutes before school, throwing on the clothes nearest to the bed, and rushing out the door.

Make sure to get breakfast. Whether as small as a banana or as big as a full course meal, breakfast goes a long way. It starts the morning off right and allows for a better, more energized day.

Next on the list: prioritize your classes! Workload and effort toward AP Environmental Science will be much larger than Photography. When you go home, do homework and study for the classes that have the most importance, and complete them first. That doesn’t mean blow off the classes that seem easier, but understand the classes requiring more work. Focus on the courses that may cause trouble to grades, and complete all the work on time with an understanding of the content.

On to the scariest part: standardized testing. They seem daunting, but planning ahead of time and studying a month in advance relieves test stress. Both the ACT and the SAT have multiple retake opportunities, so do not stress if the first time isn’t up to par.

Lastly, avoid premature senioritis at all costs. Do not procrastinate. It’s the biggest threat to grades, and you’ve come so far to fall short. It’s okay to take breaks for mental health, but don’t push a project off until “tomorrow” and forget until the night before. Junior year may be the hardest, but getting through it ensures an easier senior year with more fun.

If there’s one thing that can’t be emphasized enough, it’s to not stress. Take a deep breath, and understand that everyone around you is also going through junior year. You’re not alone.