Capturing and creating moments

Brafton

Different social media outlets.

Mercedes Gray-Davis, Staff Writer

From Snapchat and Instagram to Twitter and Facebook, almost every high school student has some social media that they visit on a regular basis. But capturing moments and posting them to social media outlets can take a toll on creating memories. Which is better, creating or capturing moments?

“Without being there to create memories, there’s nothing to capture, so I think it’s so much more worth it to be in the moment,” says junior Naomi Ezra.

Many people lose themselves behind a lens, logging onto their social media accounts and worrying about what others think of them to forget what’s right in front of them.

Matthew Kim, junior, comments, “I wouldn’t experience as much fun because I’m not really in the moment, so I’d much rather have my phone away and not just have my phone out taking pictures all the time.”

As fun as it may be to post about your life on Instagram or Snapchat, students agree that although capturing moments are special, living the memory is more important.  “At the end of the day, we still have memories and those are powerful,” states Troy Theriot, teacher.

But the incentive to capture memories is clear. Remembering past events is nostalgic and fulfilling. Capturing the moment is powerful. Having a physical photo to recollect memories is a popular choice for people wanting to document their adventures. Memories can be forgotten, but pictures bring them back to life.

Being able to put your phone away and enjoy the time you’re spending with friends and family is most rewarding. The best memories are the ones that have been lived in the moment.