Finals week: You made it, what’s next?

A Friends-inspired finals image.

The University of Dayton Roesch Library

A Friends-inspired “finals” image.

Congratulations, Beavers! You made it through the first semester of the year. You’re halfway there and you’ve come so far, but you can make your second semester go more smoothly than the first. Below are eight things you should do the weekend after finals to get a head start.

1. ORGANIZATION: Assess your organization strategy from the first semester. What worked? What didn’t work? What can you change to make your life easier? Try something new.

2. SUPPLIES: Over the weekend after finals, hit up Target or Fred Meyer to replenish school supplies. Stock up on 0.7 lead or replace the black pen that your friend stole a couple months ago. Grab some colorful pens or highlighters to make your notes easier to read in the coming semester.

3. NOTES: It’s time to tackle the giant piles of paper in your folders and at the bottom of your backpack. Organize them, toss what’s irrelevant and save your notes in a separate folder for reference. Now you have room for the next wave of trees your teachers will pass out. (If you’re a senior, don’t toss your papers out yet. Save your stacks of worksheets for the paper toss at the end of the year!)

4. THINK AP: If you took an AP class last semester, it might be a good idea to organize your papers into a study guide for easy access before the AP test. This way, you don’t have a last-minute rush to find notes from the first unit. It’s also a good time to invest in an AP test preparation book.

5. TUTOR?: If you didn’t do well in some of your classes last semester, talk to your counselor about getting a tutor. There are many people here at Beaverton that would be more than willing to help you get back on track.

6. SPORTS & ACTIVITIES: If you feel overwhelmed by school, look into joining a club, a sport, or a school play. Research has shown that extracurriculars can lead to improved grades. There are tons of clubs at Beaverton, and the spring season is coming up fast, so talk to the people in the Athletic Office if you aren’t sure which sport is for you.

7. SCHOOL SPIRIT: One of the biggest events of second semester is Week of Wishes. If you weren’t planning to attend Swishes for Wishes or Jam the Dam, think again, because you’ll be missing out on one of the biggest representations of Beaverton spirit of the year.

8. REST: The most important thing to do after finals? Relax. Take some time with your family and friends before the whole craziness of school starts up again.

This weekend, make a “New Semester’s” resolution. Maybe your goal is to write in your planner more or go on a run every day to help you stay focused and energized. Maybe your goal is to get to classes on time, eat breakfast every day, or get more sleep. Whatever it is, stick to your resolution. Good luck, Beavers!