Hummer 101: Tips on common forecasting mistakes, and what to do to prevent them

Rochester Institute of Technology

School can be stressful. Let The Hummer help lift some weight off your shoulders for this next semester!

It’s forecasting season! Even if you’re reading this in March, April, May…September of next year! It’s still forecasting season because, until two weeks after the beginning of the 2019 fall semester, your schedule isn’t set in stone. So to all you freshmen, sophomores, and juniors, there are endless options for you for the next year and choosing your classes can be a doozy. Here are the most common mistakes you’ll make when forecasting and how to avoid them!

• Not taking enough classes (Hello athletes!)

Hey, all you athletes out there! Especially juniors and seniors who are taking TAs, early releases, and late arrivals. Given, all of those sound very appealing; sleeping in, getting out of school early, and hanging out with your favorite teacher. However, OSAA requires all student-athletes to be enrolled and PASSING at least five classes. So taking five AP classes and two late arrivals may not be the best move for a lot of athletes. With that in mind, have a safety net! Take a super easy elective or two along with your three or four core classes to ensure that you’re passing the five classes you need to!

• Taking too many AP classes

One? Two? Even three? Doable with the right motivation and support. Four? Five? Now we’re in dangerous territory, my friend. While AP courses can provide you college credit and ultimately save you money while even boosting your G.P.A as well, they can often be detrimental to many students who simply cannot handle the pressure an AP course puts on a student. If you’re planning on taking multiple AP classes, choose the classes you’re taking wisely, there’s no shame in opting out of AP Lang and taking Nonfiction Lit if you’re taking AP Calc and AP Economics. Most importantly, know your limits. It’s said millions of times but there’s a reason why. AP courses do help your future and save you money, but that’s if you pass them. Don’t overload yourself and realize there’s no shame in not taking some!

• Picking classes based solely on what teachers say

Now, this is tricky because there’s a difference between which teachers you’re talking to. It’s important to know which of the two teachers you’re talking to; the one who knows you and has had you in a class vs. the teacher of a class you’re thinking of taking and doesn’t know you. The distinction between these two is crucial, teachers who don’t know you may ask some questions about how you did in a past class, but ultimately, he or she hasn’t seen you every other day in class succeeding or struggling with the content. No matter what, teachers always have an incentive to promote the class they teach because they’re passionate about it! Although it’s important to find information about a class you want to take, it’s important to listen to recommendations about classes from a teacher that knows you and your capabilities well.